Monday, June 27, 2011

Industrial photography

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE photography.  Often, I find myself mesmerized, staring at my computer screen as I study various photographs and design images, paying close attention to composition, color, and whatever elements initially draw me in.

In my photos, I rarely focus on sending a message first and foremost as many other artists choose to do.  Rather, I photograph what is beautiful, at least in my eyes.  This approach has led me to photograph many objects most individuals rarely  notice on a day-to-day basis.  I suppose this is fitting as many graphic designers (along with myself) strive to transform the ordinary or unnoticed into the extraordinary.  

One photo series of mine that I love the most focused on the beauty and fragility of industrial materials and structures.  With much of my artwork, I try to allow the subject matter itself to inspire me, rather than look to artists, whose voices are similar to mine, for inspiration.  This way, I can truly consider my work to be original I may strengthen my relationship with  special world I recreate and explore through photographs.  I like to think that when I look through a camera lens, I am discovering living, existing art that no one has seen before (or at least, not the way I view it). 

I'm thrilled when I discover other artists who share my love for the beauty of the industrial world.  One of these individuals is Mitch Epstein, whose photo series "American Power", effortlessly displays machines and urban structures within  natural environments, creating an eerie feeling of isolation in our increasingly modern world.  


I haven't quite been able to pinpoint what I love so much about photography and environments like this,  but when I frame cranes, windows, or commercial pallet boards, I like to make my subject matter come alive, as if they are characters.  I love highlighting the fragility and beauty of structures we often characterize as powerful and steadfast, and hint at a fleeting moment in time, a moment of uncertain and vulnerable movement, even when these objects stand immobile. Maybe I simply love this imagery because there appears to be no more room for the human race, as if we are out of place in the world we ourselves have created.  Who knows, that might just be what happens sooner or later.  Only time will tell.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

A teabag for thoughts...