Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hit and miss (... well sort of)

As I have made pretty clear in the past (as you can see here, here and here), I love, love, love macarons!  So, the other day, I decided to meander along inside the Ferry Building once again, and stop at Miette to buy some of these sweet, puffy, chewy little cookies that are always a hit.  Last time, I only tried their Rose-Geranium flavor, and that remains my favorite to date.  Not only do the delicate flavors stand out more, this type of macaron tends to be better constructed than their other varieties.  Second place goes to the Chocolate Lavender whose flavor profile is nearly as innovative.  Now, the flavor that keeps eluding me is the Chocolate Orange macaron.  Hopefully I can stumble upon it soon!


On another note, one of my other recent adventures (herein lies the "miss" part) was a trip to Little Skillet.  The idea of the place was great: a little walk-up restaurant serving soul food, known for its great fried chicken n' waffles.  The waffle was pretty good, soft enough to tear and munch on with ease, sturdy enough to hold up to a good drenching in syrup.  Less impressive was the fried chicken.  Having grown up in the south, I love when fried chicken slaps me in the face with great flavor.  This just didn't stand up as well as I would have liked.  That being said, I would go back for their sweet tea and waffles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

A teabag for thoughts...